Fresh, refrigerated snack bars. Crunchy snacks made of buckwheat. Banana-based, clean label “nice cream.” High-protein hummus. And fresh gourmet foods with global flavors, designed for the youngest eaters (but grown-ups love them too!).
Five Local Chicago Brands to Try This Week — presented by Naturally Chicago and SPINS — cover the whole day and all ages. Meet:
● Phyter, whose dessert-like, plant-based snacks are familiar to folks who attended FamilyFarmed’s past Good Food EXPO trade shows.
● Lil Bucks, with its sprouted buckwheat toppings and snacks.
● Frönen, whose dairy-free and Paleo frozen desserts are naturally sweetened and made with just four or five ingredients.
● Prommus, whose hummus, in a variety of flavors have much higher protein and less fat and calories than most popular brands.
● lil’gourmets, whose mission is “to help cultivate curiosity in lil’ones with nourishing, veggie-focused, global cuisines from an early age to help them fall in love with vegetables and flavorful foods for life.”
Shibani Baluji, who recently contributed an article to NaturallyChicago.org about the challenges (and joys) for working parents during the COVID-19 stay-at-home orders, is a graduate of the Good Food Accelerator, as are Frönen founders Jessica Gartenstein and Erik Nadeau.
Eat well and eat local.